At Childlife we respect the privacy of our supporters and visitors to our websites. This policy is concerned with how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have.
This policy explains how we handle your personal information in connection with our websites, social media pages, and all our printed and electronic communications.
In this policy references to Childlife or to ‘we’ or ‘us’ are to Childlife which is a registered charity in England and Wales 1080536. A non-profit making company limited by guarantee. Registered in England No. 3696656 at Westmead House, Farnborough, GU14 7LP. ICO registration number Z6804351.
What information do we collect?
We collect various personal information such as name, postal address, telephone number, email address, date of birth (where appropriate), information about your communication preferences and financial information connected to donations including gift aid.
We collect this information only in connection with specific purposes, such as fundraising campaigns, newsletter circulation, new donor acquisition, direct debit set-up, donation activity and feedback.
The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable us to provide you with a more personalised service. You don’t have to disclose any of this information to browse our sites. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services
Where we collect your information?
We collect your personal information in a number of ways:
- When you provide it to us directly as part of our new donor acquisition campaigns
- When we collect it as you use our website
- From publicly available sources (where possible) to keep your information up to date (e.g. the Post Office’s National Change of Address database)
- We buy data for using on a telephone campaigns to recruit new donors;
- The data processed is neither special category nor criminal offence data.
- The data processed will only consist of name, address, age and various other types of lifestyle information such as utility provider or life insurance provider. This will be based on the information the data subject has provided.
- This data will have been collected on a telephone survey, competition site, face2face iPad survey or similar.
When providing your personal information to third party organisations in relation to Childlife – such as to a company that processes donations, or distributes our newsletters – you can be assured that we have engaged them under a contract to protect your data. You can, should you wish, also check their own privacy policies to learn more about how they will process your data
How will we use your personal information?
Personal information collected and processed by us may be used, for the following purposes:
- To update you on our activities and your relationship with Childlife where you have consented to receive such communications from us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our website, when you choose to do so, e.g. we may help you complete forms by inserting your contact details for you to edit.
- To analyse and improve the services offered on our websites by providing you with the most user-friendly navigation experience we can for your computer or other internet device. You can go to our cookies policy on our website which gives you information about this and how to manage your off cookies if you so wish.
- To process your personal information for the purposes of customer analysis, assessment, profiling and direct marketing, on a personalised or aggregated basis, to help us with our activities and to provide you with the most relevant information.
To develop our systems and relationships with you:
- When we are legally required to hold certain personal information to fulfil statutory obligations:
- The collection of Gift Aid and transferring of Gift Aid information to HM Revenue & Customs
- Bank details in connection with direct debits.
- Administration and archiving including contacting you if we require further information to process your joining form.
- Transferring your personal data to organisations we work with to achieve our charitable objectives (see below section on information sharing for a list of our partners).
- We will maintain a suppression list to ensure we know if you have told us not to send you any further fundraising or marketing communications. And if you ask us to delete your details will ensure we only retain data we have a legal obligation to retain.
Consent and Legitimate Interest
For new donors when we collect any personal information, you will be given the option to opt-in to receive specific marketing communications from us by post, Email, telephone and SMS. Where you agree, we may send you information about our campaigning, donation activity, services, products, fundraising and other activities. For existing donors if you have not opted out of phone or mail we may use legitimate interest to contact you; we will always ensure the privacy rights of the individuals are given due consideration and any potential harm is identified before processing data in this way.
If at any time you want to alter your preferences or request that we stop communicating with you please let us know by calling us on 01252 628072 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not make marketing calls to you if you are registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) unless you have given us consent that you are happy to receive calls from us.
You may still receive other types of telephone calls from us as long as they are not marketing calls such as checking your direct debit mandate for example. We do outsource some of the telephone calling we carry out but we will only ever use carefully selected organisations with operate in a sympathetic manner to the Charity.
If one of our partners calls you, your telephone call will be recorded or monitored for the purpose of quality control and for staff training. Any recordings will be held for up to 3 months, and will then be deleted. Calls direct from Childlife are not recorded.
Who do we share information with?
We will never sell or rent your personal information to other organisations. We only disclose information when obliged to by law, for purposes of national security, taxation and criminal investigations and the following:
- Direct debit purposes or, if you have agreed that we may do so, for receiving updates on our activities detailed as below:
Companies we use to process your direct debit –
Altru Fundraising Ltd
Aurora Telecom Ltd
Connex One Ltd
Donorbox (Rebel Idealist LLC)
Ideal Host Ltd
Lottery Promotion Services (LPS) Ltd
Personal Fundraising Services Ltd
Rapidata Services Ltd
Sterling Lotteries (Unity Lottery)
Companies we use to send updates on our activities –
Charity Digital (Charity Digital Mail)
Steve Johnson Design & Print Services
Companies we use to process one-off donations –
Donorbox (Rebel Idealist LLC)
Our Financial Support Services –
Kings Mill Partnership
- When we may use other companies to provide services on our behalf, e.g. processing, mailing or delivering communications or orders, answering customers’ questions about products or services, sending mail and emails, customer analysis, when using auditors/advisors or processing credit/debit card payments
- If we receive a complaint about any content you have posted or transmitted to or from our website or one of our social media accounts, to enforce or apply our Terms & Conditions or if we believe that we need to do so to protect and defend the rights, property or personal safety of Childlife, our websites or our visitors and for other lawful purposes. For example, in rare circumstances, this could include disclosure to the police or social services
- If we merge with another organisation to form a new entity, information may be transferred to the new entity
- We may disclose aggregate statistics about our site visitors, supporters, customers and sales to describe our services and operations to prospective partners, advertisers and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics won’t include any personally identifying information
- If we run an event in partnership with other named organisations your details may need to be shared. We will be very clear what will happen to your data when you register.
Storing your information
Information which you submit to us is sent to computers located within the UK and the European Economic Area. This is necessary in order to process the information and to send you the information you have requested.
Information submitted by you may be transferred to/from other reputable third party organisations as referred to earlier in this policy for processing your donation/sending you activity updates and their computers are also situated within the UK and European Union Area (EEA).
This will be done in accordance with guidance issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office. We only keep information for as long as we are allowed to in accordance with other legislation or relevant regulations.
If you cease donating any personal information you supply to us will not be retained for longer than necessary and will be removed from our systems or securely disposed of in accordance with the requirements of our Data Retention Policy.
Volunteer records are kept for six years after they leave.
Please note that we will not knowingly accept online donations or orders for goods or services from persons aged under 18 years.
Your rights/lodging a complaint
- You can contact us anytime to change or update the details we hold or to lodge a complaint at the address below.
- You can obtain a copy of the personal data we hold about you (this is known as Subject Access Request).
- You also have the right to data portability allows you to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. There are certain conditions that apply to this, more detail will be provided on request.
- You have the right to erasure of your data and you can request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing.
- You also have the absolute right to object to direct marketing and stop your data being processed for that purpose.
- We will of course ask you to confirm your identity for any these requests to amend, view, share, restrict or erase your personal data. For any of the above please apply in writing to:
The CEO, Childlife, Westmead House, Westmead, Farnborough, GU14 7LP
Or call Childlife on 01252 628072
- If you require a full copy of our Data Protection Policy, please Contact us.
Please let us know if a link is not working – Contact Us.
In purchasing goods or services from any of the companies to which any Childlife sites links, you are forming a contract with the company(s) concerned (agreeing to their terms and conditions), not Childlife.
Using our social media pages
While this statement covers our privacy practices and how we will use any information collected from our websites and social media pages, it doesn’t cover how providers of social media websites will use your information.
You should read the social media site’s privacy policies before adding any content to our social media pages. Make use of the social media site privacy settings and reporting mechanisms to control the way that your information is handled.
Posting content on our websites and social media pages
Remember that the internet provides instant worldwide access. Any information that you provide will be worldwide instantly.
Our social media pages are not moderated So if you post comments about other people it’s not only your privacy that is at stake. Protect your friends’ privacy and reputations. Be careful about uploading any content that may show you or your friends in compromising situations and be aware that other users may abuse the content you have provided. If you want to have a post removed please contact the Childlife office on 01252 628072 or email email@example.com for this request to be reviewed.
Please don’t provide information about yourself or other people unless you’re sure you and they are happy to have it made public. In particular, don’t provide any information about others without their consent where that information might identify them, such as:-
- Tagged photos
Under no circumstances make public other peoples’ home address, email addresses or contact numbers.
We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control. Whilst we can’t ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information won’t occur, we’ll use standard industry methods to prevent this.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information across the internet isn’t completely secure and whilst we do our best to try to protect the security of your information we can’t ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information won’t occur whilst you or we are transferring this information.
If you register to become a volunteer we will use your information to process your application for administration to update you with how you can get involved and to ensure that you are receiving the right information. We will ask you to give us consent to send you fundraising information and update you with the latest news about our work